Criminal charges have dismissed against the five teenagers who were allegedly involved in a gang rape last month inside a Brownsville playground, according to authorities.
Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson announced Wednesday evening that the victim has recanted her allegations of forcible sexual assault and the existence of a gun during the Jan. 7 incident. She also no longer wishes to pursue criminal charges against any of the teens.
“Working closely with the NYPD, my office has thoroughly investigated disturbing and very serious allegations of a gang rape at gunpoint last month inside the Osborn Playground in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn,” Thompson said. “The complainant, as well as her father, provided multiple inconsistent accounts to NYPD Detectives and to experienced Special Victims prosecutors about important material facts in this case.”
According to initial reports, the victim and her father were approached at about 9:10 p.m. by the group of teens — one of who had a gun. The teens then allegedly told the father to leave the area and once the father complied, each of the boys raped the victim. The father then returned a short time later with two police officers.
As the teens were arrested and charged, a couple told investigators that the father and victim has been having sex when the group bumped into them, according to a report from the New York Post. The father denied those allegations.
RELATED:Serial rapist gets life sentence
Thompson added that the victim refused to also cooperate with any prosecution against her father — who according to the district attorney had been engaging in sexual conduct with her that night.
“That night, this young woman’s father and the five young men engaged in conduct that was reprehensible and wrong, but because of the lack of reliable evidence, criminal charges simply cannot be sustained,” Thompson said. “It is my fervent hope that this young woman gets all the support that she needs going forward.”