Man found dead in Chelsea home after shooting at officers, starting fire: Police – Metro US

Man found dead in Chelsea home after shooting at officers, starting fire: Police

nyc explosion manhole explosion
(Metro file photo)

Authorities are trying to piece together how a Chelsea man died after he reportedly assaulted his family, barricaded himself inside his home, shot at police and started a fire Monday night.

The Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley has promised a “full, fair and thorough” investigation into the bizarre incident.

The man has been identified as Kelly Pastrana, Conley told reporters Tuesday afternoon.

The night started when police responded to a domestic violence call on Warren Avenue between a Pastrana, 38, and his 40-year-old wife around 9:30 p.m. Monday.

“The domestic altercation resulted in the man chasing his wife out of the home and across the street to another house, where the man allegedly discharged his firearm in the direction of the room where his wife and daughter were hiding,” state police spokesman Dave Procopio said in a statement.

Pastrana returned to his home and then fired multiple shots at Chelsea officers who arrived on scene, police said. He barricaded himself inside the home as several more departments responded to the call, including Boston, Revere, Somerville, Everett and Nahant police officers.

The police set up a perimeter around the house, Procopio said, and officials evacuated those living in the surrounding homes and apartment buildings.

The man fired at police from the home’s window. No officers were shot but one suffered a hand injury.

During the standoff, officials said Pastrana started a fire in the garage. The fire eventually spread to the main house, igniting the roof. Firefighters began fighting the blaze while maintaining a safe distance from Pastrana, who was seen as a threat, police said.

Pastrana was found dead in the home by Chelsea firefighters at 2:08 a.m. His wife was not injured during the incident.

Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes said the man died from a gunshot wound, though it’s not clear yet if it was self-inflicted. Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said that the state medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

“Our independent investigation will be full, fair and thorough,” Conley said in a statement. “We will determine the facts, apply the law and release our detailed findings publicly when that work complete.”